YUDU was founded in 2003 as Digital Alternatives, one of the first companies that specialized in digital publishing offering Flash-based page-turning editions to its publishing clients.
In 2005 it became clear to us that the future of publishing and content communication would be defined by a discovering that happy medium between print and digital.
To serve into this mixed media world, the company concluded that it would no longer be practicable for the company to continue to grow by simple outsourcing services. Any future model would need to allow publishers to control and edit their own publications.
As a result, in 2007 we first launched our own client facing and back-end platforms. Since then we’ve been among the first app developers to create publishing apps natively for both iOS and Android and have continually invested in our YUDU Publisher system to expand its feature-set and functionality year-on-year, every year.
During this time, we have branched into a variety of markets, including training, corporate communication, emergency communications and more. The one unifying factor behind all of these specializations is that they're all about helping organizations and publishers communicate more effectively. And the one thing all our apps have one thing in common?
They’re all built to accommodate and communicate your content in the most effective way, from the easy upload process to the ability to deploy enhanced versions of this content across all devices in a matter of minutes. That’s what we mean by “content driven apps”.
Today YUDU publishes to the web and mobile devices with a broad range of apps and unique associated modules, each developed to fulfill a particular need among our clients.
It's because of this history, and the fact we’ve been around for nearly a decade that we are able to offer a level of assurance and dependability that other, newer start-ups aren’t able to provide. We continue to invest in our platform and apps so that our clients always have access to the most cutting edge publishing software and content-driven apps.
Just a few of our key milestones
- 2006/7 – Cloud computing platform for creating interactive rich media digital editions.
- 2008 – Peer-to-peer and user generated content site for publishers and readers – YUDU.com – Top 6k sites in the world by Alexa ranking (top 5k US, top 1k UK)
- 2010 – iPad App software tools: 100 iPad and iPhone apps live in the first 12 months from launch.
- 2011 – Illustrated books service for fixed layout ePub (for the iBookstore) and Read Aloud books.
- 2012 – Cross platform solution for publishing across web, iOS & Android devices.
- 2013 - AppFactory launched for partners.
- 2013 - Upgraded YUDU Publisher digital publishing suite launched.
- 2014 - HTML browser-solution launched.
- 2015 - Our Emergency Communications App was launched.
- 2016 - Our PhoneView module was launched.